I got this recipe for the Daring Gourmet, I would like to say I made the changes because I thought they would add to it, be healthier, or help stay on my Veggie Diet, alas….that is NOT the case…
- ¼ cup butter (Yep)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup) (Hell to the NO, I don’t like onion 🙂
- 2 cups very finely chopped good quality, flavorful celery (about 5 large stalks, organic recommended for optimal flavor). (uh, not quite…I used the ones going bad so I wouldn’t have to throw them away)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced (HUH??? I used garlic powder)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose unbleached flour (wellll….how about whole wheat flour, that is all I have)
- 1½ cups good quality chicken broth (don’t have any, used Veggie Broth instead)
- 1½ cups whole milk (or use ¾ cup milk and ¾ cup cream for even tastier results) (I hope plain yogurt works instead of cream?)
- 1 teaspoon salt (Yep)
- ½ teaspoon sugar ( unprocessed brown sugar crystals)
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper(Yep)
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven (what is a Dutch Over, used deep pan) over medium-high heat and cook the onions, celery and garlic until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth and milk/cream and stir until the mixture is smooth. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste. (see thick so I added more veggie broth 1/2 cup)
- Since I don’t really know if I like cream of celery I added some steamed Cauliflower, then when it was done I blended it smooth in the blender!
- If using as a base for other recipes, this soup will keep in the fridge for at least 3-4 days.
Ha, it is really good, wasn’t really sure, I am sure the original is as Good or Even Better, but I am happy with my results 🙂