So I have a hard time with Asparagus, so I bought a Lemon Garlic seasoning sauce, the only problem, it called for 1 POUND of Asparagus, which is fine except I am the only one who eats it , soo what to do with all the left overs??? Plus I had some extra celery so…..Let’s make soup 🙂
So yet again I started with Daring Gourmet recipe and tweaked it .. my Celery soup..
- ¼ cup butter (Yep)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup) (Hell to the NO, I don’t like onion 🙂
- 2 cups very finely chopped good quality, flavorful celery (about 5 large stalks, organic recommended for optimal flavor).
- 1 large clove garlic, minced (since the Asparagus had the lemon garlic sauce thing, I skipped this)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose unbleached flour (wellll….how about whole wheat flour, that is all I have)
- 1½ cups good quality chicken broth (I used 2 cups since that was the last of it, used Veggie Broth instead)
- 1½ cups whole milk (or use ¾ cup milk and ¾ cup cream for even tastier results) (I used 1 cup of low fat milk, all I had)
- 1 teaspoon salt (shit, forgot this!)
- ½ teaspoon sugar ( unprocessed brown sugar crystals)
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper(darn it, didn’t use this either)
- 1lb Lemon Garlic sauced cooked asparagus
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven (what is a Dutch Over, used deep pan) over medium-high heat and cook the onions, celery and garlic until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth and milk/cream and stir until the mixture is smooth. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- I added the asaparagus, then when it was done I blended it smooth in the blender!
- If using as a base for other recipes, this soup will keep in the fridge for at least 3-4 days.
Ha, it is really good, enough to eat and freeze I am happy with my results 🙂
Don’t have to throw out any veggies, ’cause you know how I hate doing that!