So on one of my last posts I mentioned eating healthy while not going broke, … so here we are
I was making a soup for my mom, using here “prepper” food, when I thought, hmmmm, cornbread muffins would be good with this!
I looked up a couple of low carb recipes and they call for all sorts of expensive flours, which I don’t have.
Soooo, I went to my pantry, pulled out my oats, and blended 1 cup of them. Then I pulled up a standard recipes for Corn Muffins….
- 1 Cup flour = 3/4 of my standard flour mix (right now consists of mostly white and wheat with a little soy) and 1/4 cup of my just blended oat flour
- 1 Cup Corn Meal = 3/4 corn meal 1/4 just blended oat flour
- 2 tblsp Flax meal = need those fibers to lower the carb count
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt = couple grinds (to much salt is not good for you)
- 1/4 cup oil = 1 blended apple (peel and all)
- 1 egg –
- 1 cup milk = had non-fat in fridge that is what I used
- I had some corn on the cob left over from a BBQ so I cut off the kernels and added them 🙂
- Pour in muffin pan
- Cook 400 11-17 minutes
Well, Yummy, they aren’t to sweet (next time I may add some honey) but they are good with a nice texture and you can eat 2 for 6 WW points…because really, who eats just 1???
So a nice healthy muffin without spending a fortune!